Thursday, September 14, 2006

And the Mother of the Year Award Goes To....

Do you remember that episode of the Brady Bunch where Jan gets caught sneeking out her window and gets grounded? But it turns out she had been sneaking out to the mail box to mail a letter nominating her Dad for Father of the Year. And of course he wins.
Well I'm thinking I may do something like that for my own beloved Mommy.
I'll tell you why.
My Mom retired at the beginning of this month and she has been offering to "help" me with the kids for a few weeks now. This of course in my eyes is a blessing and a nightmare. But alas, I had an OB appointment this morning at 8:30. I made it for that early because I knew it was the first appointment of the day so I'd be in and out in no time so I could take the kids with me. But at my last appointment the doc reminded me I was going to have the GBS test at this appointment. Not exactly what you want to do with two kids in the room. L probably wouldn't mind it but Z would be terrified to see Mommy laying down on the exam table with feet in stirrups as the doctor attacked my hoohoo with a giant Q-Tip. So I asked my mom last week if she would babysit this morning. "Oh of course" was her reply. So this morning the clock strikes 8:00 and no Mom of the year to be seen. I call her cell phone. Of course no answer, I don't even know if she knows how to answer it. It's a 20 minute drive to the OB and the kids aren't even dressed so I know I can't just get them ready and go, we'll never make it on time. 8:30 rolls around I call her cell again, no answer, I call her home phone, no answer. I'm getting a wee bit concerned now. I decide to call my Dad but realize I don't have his work number and of course he doesn't answer his cell either. I get distracted with the kids and don't get around to calling her again until 9:15. I call her home phone again and she answers with that voice that clearly gives away the fact that she has been asleep. She's all scratchy and screetchy like it's 3am.
She forgot about babysitting for her grandchildren and over slept.
L kept asking me why Nanny didn't come over to see her today. I was going to lie and say she was sick. Instead I just said, "Nanny is tired." I hope L repeats this to Nanny many times so that she can make Nanny feel like crap over and over and over again. Awwww, is that petty and immature of me??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, that's horrible. I'm so sorry Leslie!

9:08 AM  
Blogger b said...

She made you miss your appt! You are not being terrible at all!

8:47 AM  
Blogger 4texans said...

awww, that sucks, I'm sorry about that...

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home